Sunday, October 31, 2004

So the sox won the series for the first time in forever. Perhaps I should be really excited about this but I am not! In fact, I barely noticed it in the news. Sports don't thrill me the way that last year's playoff run with the flames did. Maybe I'm just too busy to care, but maybe it's that the series wasn't anything special, or maybe my mind is on other things.....

I leave for New Orleans and a vacation in less than 5.5 days. I am so excited that I can barely contain my joy. But somehow, somehow I will manage to make it through the week. Work is boring, interminably so. The weekends aren't as long as I'd like them to be. The weeks are much too long. The vacation will refresh me.

It's been fifteen million years since my last post. I have read two novels in the meantime. The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington and All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren. The Ambersons was pretty good but so much of the material has been recycled in subsequent books that it seemed unoriginal. I'm sure in 1919 it was original but now it's tending to be old. A worthwhile book, certainly, but nothing that I would add to my shortlist for novel of my life... All the King's Men was very good. Excellent writing, excellent pace, and excellent storytelling. This is said to be the seminal novel about American politics. It's also said that the story came in part from the life of Huey Long, a long-dead Governor of Louisiana. In short though, if you have ever studied power, politics, or both you should read this book. It is my hope that you will enjoy it as I did. This book hasn't seemed to date at all, written in 1948 it is as current today as ever.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?