Saturday, October 16, 2004

So i've been a bad little blogger, not posting in almost two weeks. But I've been busy, and tired, and there are surely other excuses that i could dig up.

But there is some good news to all this. I have been reading prodigiously in the past two weeks (along with sleep it's my biggest activity.) I read an excellent book by Saul Bellow called Humboldt's Gift. This is an excellent story of a man and his mentor. Two great men who are both geniuses and humans, exhibiting this in the most inventive ways. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize in the late 70's, it is obvious why the novel was selected. I would definitely recommend it to others, and other others. Read it if you have dreamed of genius, or aspired to the artists' existence.

The second novel that I sped through this past week is by Pearl S. Buck, The Good Earth. It is a great story of Imperial China through a great many generations. A story of land, farming, prosperity, poverty. So many contrasts in a book of such simple things. It is a good book, not great, but very good. I would like to read more of Pearl's novels, but I have a few ahead of that on the list.

I'm off to see a movie. Garden State, at the Plaza. I think I should have seen this before now but since it's here now and I'm ready to see it there is no hesitation. Good night, Auf Wiedersehen

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?