Friday, October 01, 2004

So, I did revisit American Pastoral, and the verdict is that I loved the book. Really, it's easy to get over the non-ending once you look back on the book as a whole. Very good plot which seemed to ravel and unravel at staggered points. What leaves me wondering is who exactly is the narrator for the last half of the book? Is it the Swede? Very intriguing question is it not?

I also finished reading another Pulitzer prize-winner. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley. This was a very succinct novel about middle america. The great plains, and all that. I read the whole thing, and I understood most of the themes but i thought it was a bit trashy. I could definitely see why it achieved popular acclaim, and there is plenty for certain people to like, but I thought it was very average. Of course, as an intellectual, I must pre-concede that this is only my opinion (one which has less weight than a sack of feathers at that).

I am looking forward to doing some reading this weekend but I may not have the opportunity since work is beckoning for tomorrow morning. We shall see.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?