Wednesday, September 01, 2004

I just finished reading Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer, by Steven Millhauser. Overall, I would say it's a good book, well put together and easy to read. I managed to read it in about 3 or 4 hours, which is somewhat short for a book that covers as much as this does. You may have already sensed that I'm holding back, and that is true. The book just wasn't up to my high standards. I have to compare all the books I read with a select few, that is, East of Eden, Dr. Zhivago, Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and Lord of the Rings. Compared to these, it was just a short story about an American who had lofty dreams. Dreams that were profitable but that eventually lead to his ruin. He made some stupid choices along the way, some really excellent choices too. Whatever, he lived the life of an entrepreneur; otherwise he was just like each of us. Flawed, human, ambitious.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?