Saturday, April 24, 2004

I've of course finished a few more novels recently.

Shopgirl by Steve Martin was a nice little novella that I really enjoyed. It made me realize that readers today aren't looking for a masterpiece, all they are looking for is a release from their daily grind. A way out of the unchanging cycle that they live. I have renewed confidence in my ability to write a novel

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon was an amazing and moving and deeply rewarding novel. A pulitzer prize winner and the award went to the right place. Such a vivid novel, I am currently sending it to Calgary where it will get its rounds on the Chester Pines Reading Circle.

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, a collection of 8 short stories was also really good. I will be keeping it around because it is an excellent example of what a collection of short stories should be. I really loved the characters she created. THey seem so very real and amiable, people I might want to get to know.

I am starting Empire Falls today and I will let all of you know how it does eventually turn out.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?