Saturday, March 13, 2004

I have finished another book of note. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Wow, what a book, eye-opening and strange. If it had been a movie I never would have even touched the case, but somehow the book is less violent and more surreal. I don't yet fully understand why it is Mr. R's favorite book but I want to know. Mostly to shape my own opinions, because I'm uncertain that I got the point of the book.

Sure I took some good lessons from the book, and I know that Mr. R has taken several good lessons. Many of those lessons would never work on me. Is that why I can be his friend? Maybe. Anyway, i would recommend this to others, if for no other reason than that everyone should see how that .5% lives.

A question: Is it so outrageous so that we don't take it seriously or is it outrageous only to those who would dream of these things?

I am currently reading The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx and it is a much more lighthearted and steady read. It's obvious why News won awards, much more obvious than most.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?