Tuesday, February 10, 2004

I have not seen a computer since January 29/04. That's like 13 days. I had about 100 emails to answer and now I have 17 minutes to update y'all on my life. I stay in a seedy but otherwise unnoticeable motel in downtown P.G. (as the locals call it). If you thought Calgary was a commuter city you just haven't yet seen P.G. The transit sucks and I think the gov't assumes that everyone owns a truck. It's a city of 70,000 or so spread out in the area of Calgary. It takes me forever to get anywhere and I'm too broke for cabs. But all in all I'm pretty happy here. Sure, it's a bit lonely when you have no one to talk to about your day but I'm usually too tired to care when I get home.

The P.G. library has free internet service if you tell them that you're from out of town. So I'm using the great hospitality of these people to tell you about the downs of P.G. And now the ups... The people here are nice, it's a small town atmosphere, and I get along well with everyone I've met so far. It snows a lot here but overall it's pretty mild in climate. Snow tuirns to rain and back to snow usually in a given day and the city clears all the main sidewalks and salts them before I get out onto them at 8 am (Pacific Standard Time). The food is very different here. Perhaps the greatness of calgary's ethnic delights has spoiled me but I find nothing here that is better and everything here that is stranger. I guess I should stick with the constancy of fast-food outlets. They say McDonalds tastes the same everywhere in Canada...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?