Wednesday, January 07, 2004

I've finished East of Eden by Steinbeck. As far as I am concerned it is a must read. Not nearly as difficult as The Grapes of Wrath, Eden is an epic tale of 3 generations in 2 different families. Though I disagree with many of Oprah's selections, this is one that should have won the pulitzer. Of Mice and Men? no thank you, I'd rather be East of Eden. The themes are very real, the book very well written in the traditional Steinbeck style of descriptive prose. John even makes an appearance in the book as part of the 4th generation Trasks.

The story reminds me of my own life in many ways, but the protagonist is way messed up. I'm not that messed up, I mean, I've never had my wife shoot me.... yet.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?